Four more fans admit crimes following Man Utd protests ahead of Liverpool FC match at Old Trafford

Four more Manchester United fans have admitted their involvement in a huge disturbance at Old Trafford which led to Liverpool FC’s match being postponed.

The game at Old Trafford in May last year was postponed after Manchester United protestors broke into the ground and invaded the pitch. About 1,000 people had gathered outside the ground to demonstrate with a number clashing with police.

A further four men are now due to be sentenced after pleading guilty to criminal offences in relation to the large scale disturbance. Lee Bowie, 34, admitted burglary. Gary Buckley, 52; Matthew Connor, 20; and Jake O’Hare, 26, all pleaded guilty to violent disorder.

READ MORE: Manchester United fans admit violent disorder ahead of cancelled Liverpool FC match

Manchester Evening News previously reported how eight other men had also admitted offences relating to the incident, including two men from Wirral.

Sam McNulty, of Windermere Road, Prenton, Wirral, admitted violent disorder and was also charged in relation to an injury suffered by a police officer. The 26-year-old has denied wounding with intent, but pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding.

Jake Collins, 24, of Barton Lane, Eccles; Brian Doherty, 55, of Douglas Walk, Whitefield; Henry Garside, 23, of Elaine Street, Warrington, and Peter McNally, 28, of Radnor Drive, Wallasey, Wirral; all admitted violent disorder. Garside also pleaded guilty to burglary, by entering Old Trafford stadium and stealing a corner flag and post worth £43.

Niall Stott, 22, of Borrowdale Close, Oldham; Aston Maxfield, 21, of Pelsall Road, Walsall; and Ryan Fox-Kettle, 23, of Queen Street, Staffordshire, previously pleaded guilty to violent disorder.

Following a hearing at Manchester Crown Court on Wednesday (March 16), Bowie, of Falside Walk, Newton Heath; Buckley, of Billinge Road, Wigan; Connor, of Heron Drive, Irlam; and O’Hare, of Chataway Road, Irlam, were all given conditional bail. The men are due to be sentenced by Judge Anthony Cross QC next month.

The protest was held ahead of a behind closed doors match between United and Liverpool on Sunday, May 2, which had been due to kick off at 4.30pm. Flares and bottles were thrown, according to police, and the game was postponed on safety grounds following discussions between both clubs, the police, the Premier League and Trafford Council.

Source link

You May Also Like