The Manchester United captain and England international star received an email that a bomb would be left at his home with police compelled to investigate the threat
Image: Eamonn and James Clarke)
Cheshire police with sniffer dogs have been sent to the house of Manchester United captain Harry Maguire after he received a bomb threat.
Maguire lives with his fiancee Fern Hawkins along with their two daughters but their property is now being extensively searched by police following the threat. An email was sent that a bomb was being left at the home of the England international.
The player – as with any high-profile footballer – is often on the end of widespread abuse and threats on social media platforms but the nature of this threat has forced the police to treat the issue seriously. It comes just days after United’s miserable run of form continued with a four-goal defeat against Liverpool at Anfield.
A report in The Sun outlines how Maguire and his young family have been left shocked by the threat. The central defender has often received the brunt of criticism from fans for poor results due to his status at the club but this latest development has required police action.
A spokesman for Maguire said: “In the last 24 hours, Harry has received a serious threat to his family home. He has reported this to the police who are now looking into the matter. The safety of his family and those around him is obviously Harry’s number one priority. He will continue to prepare for this weekend’s fixture as normal and we will not be commenting in any further detail at this time.”
A statement from Cheshire Police has confirmed that they were called to reports of a bomb threat at an address in the Wilmslow area and that while no evacuations took place, a police explosives dog has attended the address this afternoon, Thursday 21 April, to conduct a search of the gardens and surrounding area.
Mirror Football has approached Manchester United for comment.
The incident comes on the same day that Manchester United confirmed the appointment of Ajax boss Erik ten Hag as their new permanent manager from the end of the current campaign. Ten Hag, 52, met with United bosses last month to talk about becoming their new manager on a permanent basis and has now penned a contract until June 2025 with an option of a further year. Mitchell Van der Gaag, Ten Hag’s long-term Ajax assistant, is poised to join him in the United.
David M. Benett/Dave Benett/WireImage)
Ten Hag told United’s website : “It is a great honour to be appointed manager of Manchester United and I am hugely excited by the challenge ahead. I know the history of this great club and the passion of the fans, and I am absolutely determined to develop a team capable of delivering the success they deserve.
“It will be difficult to leave Ajax after these incredible years, and I can assure our fans of my complete commitment and focus on bringing this season to a successful conclusion before I move to Manchester United.”
Ten Hag will succeed interim coach Ralf Rangnick in the Old Trafford hotseat and will become the club’s fifth permanent manager since Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement in 2013, following on from David Moyes, Louis van Gaal, Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.