Man Utd agreement ‘over everything’ with Barcelona goes up in flames, as next Ten Hag options emerge


Man Utd must start from scratch if they’re to sign Frenkie de Jong after they were forced to withdraw everything they’d previously agreed with Barcelona, per a report.

United’s pursuit of No 1 midfield target Frenkie de Jong recently passed the three-month mark. Erik ten Hag has identified his fellow Dutchman as the perfect player to pull the strings in midfield.

If their opening two defeats are anything to go by, change is required and De Jong would be a fantastic step in the right direction.

The Red Devils have long since agreed a deal worth around £72m for De Jong. Barcelona are believed to be  happy to sell the midfielder despite publicly stating otherwise.

Chelsea have also emerged as a serious contender to sign De Jong if he does depart. The Blues can offer Champions League football and that could swing the pendulum their way if he is forced out.

The main barrier preventing his exit thus far has been the player himself. De Jong is settled in Barcelona and wishes to remain there if he can.

Furthermore, Barcelona reportedly owe De Jong around £17m in deferred wages. The 25-year-old agreed to push back a sizeable chunk of his salary during the Covid pandemic, though Barcelona are refusing to pay the full sum in one go if he leaves this summer.

With over two weeks to go before the September 1 deadline, it’s anyone’s guess where De Jong will end up. However, according to Dutch football expert, Marcel van der Kraan, Man Utd’s chances have taken a hit.

Van der Kraan told Sky Sports a deadline has passed that has forced Manchester United into withdrawing everything they had previously agreed in the move.

Man Utd pursuit back to square one

“Manchester United have officially withdrawn their offer to Barcelona,” said Van der Kraan.

“They had this offer on the table of £72m for weeks and there was a deadline on it. This deadline has now passed.

“Before the deadline, Manchester United had to take a decision and have withdrawn the entire package over everything they’ve agreed.”

Explaining what Ten Hag and United’s options are now, he continued: “It means that there’s a whole new starting point.

“Will Man Utd make a new offer? One that is more extended that could cover more of Frenkie’s demands?

“I doubt it actually. He wants the [deferred wages] from Barcelona.

“It could also mean they do not make another offer at all, there is a whole new blank situation at this moment.”

Ten Hag, Frenkie de Jong stances detailed

Van der Kraan went on to stress Erik ten Hag remains very keen on signing De Jong and will personally continue to push for the blockbuster transfer. Whether United back him and risk further embarrassment in the long-running saga, only time will tell.

However, when asked if De Jong actually wants to join Man Utd, Van der Kraan continued: “De Jong hasn’t really made a major decision. He stays very quiet.

“His agent, Ali Dursun, has made this massive contract when he went to Barcelona and there were many takers for De Jong at the time.”

Van der Kraan then suggested De Jong may be financially motivated to remain at the Camp Nou.

What’s more, he hinted he will stand firm on demanding Barcelona pay his deferred wages given he was not brought up through their system and had plenty of other suitors at the time he chose Barcelona.

“All he wants now is what he’s entitled to, this is a vital point,” he continued.

“Of course Barcelona are trying to put pressure on him and push him out of the door so they don’t have to pay his wages.

“But I guarantee you, he will not go until he’s had all the money he’s entitled to. His agent is also making sure of that.”



Source link

You May Also Like