Man Utd get Raphael Varane injury update after medics’ ‘difficulty’ in Man City hammering | Football | Sport


Manchester United fans will be relieved to hear that central defender Raphael Varane will not be sidelined for a ‘long-term period’ following his injury against Manchester City. The club’s medical team were initially concerned due to the reported swelling in the area.

According to Manchester Evening News, United sources have said that Varane’s injury is ‘not bad’, though they are wary of his injury problems previously and will not rush the 29-year-old back in fear that the problem could escalate.

The defender hobbled down the tunnel at the Etihad Stadium, with his 3-0 down, in the 40th minute on Sunday having sustained an ankle injury. Fears were growing internally at United as, according to L’Equipe, the medical team were unable to diagnose the problem.

Varane’s ankle was too swollen to see the true extent of the problem, though they say there is a general feeling in the camp that it is sprained.

Varane has formed a solid partnership with summer signing Lisandro Martinez this season, though the pair were not shown to best effect against City – being torn to pieces by hat-trick heroes Erling Haaland and Phil Foden. Victor Lindelof then entered the fray to replace the injured Varane, though he was fighting a losing battle in trying to stop the onslaught from Pep Guardiola’s side.

It is unknown how long Varane will be sidelined, with Erik ten Hag reportedly waiting to hear whether his No 19 will be available for the Europa League match against Omonia Nicosia in Cyprus on Thursday. If not, it appears likely that Lindelof will slot into central defence.

Club captain Harry Maguire, who has been dropped in favour of the Martinez/Varane pairing, is currently nursing a thigh injury that he sustained on international duty with England. Phil Jones was not named in United’s Premier League squad and thus is unavailable too, as well as Axel Tuanzebe due to a long-term injury.

There were suggestions that Varane was taken off as a precaution to not worsen any injury due to the scoreline already being 3-0, though Ten Hag was keen to rubbish those claims. He said: “I don’t think so, that he would have carried on (if the score would have been closer). But you get him off because when you are 4-0 down, you don’t want to take a risk to get a bigger injury. But I think it’s that big, the injury, that he couldn’t carry on.”





Source link

You May Also Like