Man Utd interim boss Ralf Rangnick says Mason Greenwood arrest was a “human disaster”


Manchester United’s interim boss has referred to the ongoing police investigation surrounding Mason Greenwood as a “human disaster” after the forward was arrested in January

Greenwood was arrested in January on suspicion of rape and assault, before later being further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and making threats to kill
Greenwood was arrested in January on suspicion of rape and assault, before later being further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and making threats to kill

Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick has described Mason Greenwood’s arrest as a “human disaster”

The forward had been a regular in the club’s starting XI before his arrest in January.

Greenwood was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault before later being further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and making threats to kill. It came after a woman alleged incidents of violence.

United swiftly suspended their player and he hasn’t played or trained with them since the allegations were made. Rangnick was the man in charge at the time, having taken over on an interim basis from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. He cited the vast damage it had done – both to him as an individual but also the club.

Rangnick said: “The issue around Mason was a disaster for everybody.

“It was a human disaster, it’s a personal [disaster]. It’s not good for himself, obviously, and for his family it hasn’t been good but it also hasn’t been good for our club. He was regularly playing at the time.”

Greenwood has had his bail extended beyond its original date of Saturday 30 April, with his hearing expected to be held in June.

A Greater Manchester Police statement read: “We are continuing to investigate a report made to us on Sunday 30 January reporting incidents of physical violence. A 20-year-old man arrested that day on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman, and threats to kill, remains on bail. An application has been made to the courts to have his bail extended beyond Saturday 30 April, but the hearing isn’t expected to be until mid-June.

“The suspect will remain on conditional bail until the date of the court hearing. Any update on the outcome of that hearing – or news before then – will be issued proactively by GMP press office.”







Mason Greenwood recently saw his bail extended
(

Image:

GETTY)

United moved quickly to suspend Greenwood following the allegations made against him in January.

A club statement read: “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.”

The club’s partners Cadbury also released a statement which read: “Cadbury does not condone violence in any form. Our Partnership is with the club itself and not the individual players. However, while these allegations are being investigated, any marketing or products we create with Manchester United will not feature this player. We will continue to monitor the situation closely.”

The forward has also been suspended from FIFA 22 by producers EA Sports.

Read More

Read More





Source link

You May Also Like