MANCHESTER UNITED will appeal Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s two-match ban for his red card against Young Boys in Bern.
And they will cite Kevin De Bruyne’s tackle on Idrissa Gueye in Manchester City’s 2-0 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday in their defence.
Red Devils full-back Wan-Bissaka was red-carded after 35 minutes when he stretched for a loose ball and stamped on the foot of Christopher Martins.
He was given a one-match ban and that was raised to two on Wednesday with UEFA claiming it was ‘rough play’.
But the previous night City’s De Bruyne had committed an almost identical challenge and was only booked.
United manager Solskjaer said: “I’m very surprised, very disappointed. Of course we’re going to appeal.
“It’s almost a three-game ban because it’s early in the game, 30 minutes, so it’s two thirds of another game, and if you look at other tackles from the other side of the city as well, that’s probably more dangerous, and that’s a yellow card, that’s inconsistency, that’s football for us.”
Solskjaer was still sore from the previous weekend when he felt Aston Villa’s winner against them at Old Trafford should have been ruled out with Ollie Watkins obstructing David de Gea in an offside position.
BETTING SPECIAL – GET RONALDO TO SCORE A PENALTY AND MAN UTD TO WIN AT 100/1
He said: “When you shoot now you can put a guy next to the goalkeeper, and he is not offside if he pushes the keeper. Explanations don’t always give us an ‘ok, yes that’s the reason’ feeling.”
The United boss has also hit out at the Premier League for landing them a 12.30pm kick off at home to Everton on Saturday having played in the Champions League on Wednesday night.
Meanwhile, City and Liverpool played on Tuesday and they are not in action again until when they face each other at Anfield at 4.30pm on Sunday.
Solskjaer said: “We’ve had, absolutely no explanation, it’s TV, no common sense at all.
“Us and Chelsea played Wednesday night and could easily have played Sunday and Liverpool and City Saturday. Common sense might not be so common.”
Solskjaer was furious last November with an even worse scenario.
After losing away in Turkey to Istanbul Basaksehir they then had to travel back to face Everton away at 12.30pm on the Saturday.
While they won that game 3-1, he claimed the situation was a ‘shambles’ and that they had been ‘set up to fail’.
Solskjaer said yesterday that while the football authorities have agreed to avoid such a scenario next season he does not understand why they cannot implement change now.
He said: “There was an announcement last season that from next season onwards that is not going to happen and of course I was surprised because I thought maybe if you are deciding that why not start with it straight away?
“I think maybe that game was scheduled before the Champions League draw, that was maybe the reason they didn’t’ want to move it.
“You understand that there is more to it than just moving a game but have some ice in your belly and reschedule it, be calmer about it. It couldn’t be that difficult.”
⚽ Read our Football news live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals