Manchester United were expected to bid for Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Moises Caicedo in the summer transfer window but were put off by his £70 million price tag, according to Sky Sports reporter Dharmesh Sheth.
Erik ten Hag has been a busy man since taking the managerial job at Old Trafford and can strengthen his squad further ahead of the September 1 deadline.
What is the latest transfer news from United?
The Red Devils secured their fourth signing of the window last week when the club confirmed the arrival of Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro.
The Brazilian watched on from the stands as United picked up their first win of the Premier League season, beating Liverpool 2-1 at Old Trafford. The 30-year-old was not registered in time to compete for his new side.
Elsewhere, United have been eyeing attacking reinforcements with PSV Eindhoven’s Cody Gakpo now a top target.
Ajax winger Antony is also on their wish list but, according to Sky Sports, they are unwilling to increase the £67 million bid that was rejected last week.
The report also states that the Brazilian was omitted from the Ajax matchday squad against Sparta Rotterdam due to being ‘not mentally right.’
What has Sheth said about Caicedo?
Sheth understands that United were ready to bid for the Ecuador star this summer as Ten Hag sought out improvements to his midfield.
But the reporter says that Brighton would have demanded upwards of £70 million to even begin a discussion over the player’s sale.
Sheth told GIVEMESPORT: “Moises Caicedo is one that I was told about, that Manchester United were interested in and that they were expected to bid for. But I think the response, even before they got to the bidding stage, from Brighton was that he is simply not for sale. To consider anything you were talking upwards of £70 million.”
Should United still try and sign Caicedo?
At just 20-years-old, Caicedo is certainly one of the Premier League’s most exciting talents and has even been compared to N’Golo Kante.
However, having signed Casemiro, the midfield is likely no longer the biggest priority at Old Trafford with attacking reinforcements still needed.
If, after they have strengthened in the final third, they still have funds to spare then a bid for Caicedo may well be a smart move.
But it seems more likely a deal for the South American could be struck in a year’s time or beyond.
News Now – Sport News