Man Utd’s official partner Cadbury issue statement after Mason Greenwood arrest


Mason Greenwood will not appear in any marketing and promotion of Cadbury with Manchester United following the forward’s arrest on suspicion of rape and assault

1 Aston Villa v Manchester United Premier League
Cadbury have released a statement following Mason Greenwood’s arrest

Manchester United official partner Cadbury have released a statement on forward Mason Greenwood following his arrest on suspicion of rape and assault.

Greenwood was arrested by police on Sunday after he was accused by a woman of attacking her in images and video and audio files posted on social media.

Manchester United had already confirmed Greenwood would not be returning to training or playing whilst the investigation is ongoing but stopped short of formally suspending him.

Earlier on Monday, sportswear manufacturer Nike confirmed they were suspending their sponsorship of Greenwood.

The sportswear giant released a statement after the material initially appeared online stating they were “deeply concerned”.

The club’s official sponsor Cadbury have now stated their position and clarified that their professional relationship is with United and not any specific player.







Police were pictured outside Greenwood’s house on Sunday
(

Image:

Eamonn and James Clarke)

They added that Greenwood will not appear in any of their marketing or products which are in association with Manchester United in the period in which the allegations are being investigated.

Cadbury said in a statement: “Cadbury does not condone violence in any form. Our Partnership is with the Club itself and not the individual players.

“However, while these allegations are being investigated, any marketing or products we create with Manchester United will not feature this player. We will continue to monitor the situation closely.”

Earlier on Monday, Nike said in a statement to the BBC: “We have suspended our relationship with Mason Greenwood. We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”

It comes after Greater Manchester Police confirmed that detectives investigating the case had been given extra time to interview Greenwood over the allegations.

A full statement from Greater Manchester Police read: “Detectives have been granted additional time to speak to a man in his 20s who is being held on suspicion of rape and assault of a woman.

“The suspect was arrested yesterday (Sunday 30 January) afternoon and remains in custody.

“Enquiries are ongoing and the victim is being offered specialist support.

“If you’re a victim of domestic abuse, or are concerned about someone you know, please use our online reporting facility or use our LiveChat facility on our website, or call 101.

“In an emergency that’s on-going or life is in danger, always dial 999.

“Some victims may not feel comfortable speaking with the police, or may feel they need support to come forward and make a report. Greater Manchester Victims’ Services can provide independent emotional and practical support for anyone affected by crime.

“You can contact the service by visiting the website on https://www.gmvictims.org.uk/ or calling 0161 200 1950.”

Police officers were pictured outside Greenwood’s home in Cheshire on Sunday.

Greenwood joined United at the age of six and has been a key first-team player in recent seasons.

He has scored 22 goals in 83 Premier League appearances and started United’s most recent game against West Ham at Old Trafford on January 22.

“The club has now confirmed that Mason Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice,” read a statement from The Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST).

“MUST fully support the decision of the club in this regard.”

*If you are suffering from domestic abuse, you can seek help and support by calling Refuge on their 24-hour hotline on 0808 2000 247 or visit nationaldahelpline.org.uk





Source link

You May Also Like