Ten Hag now ‘considering’ big decision on Ronaldo at Old Trafford – GiveMeSport


Manchester United could still part ways with Cristiano Ronaldo this summer if a replacement can be brought into Old Trafford ahead of the September 1 deadline, according to talkSPORT reporter Alex Crook.

Erik ten Hag has overseen a horrendous start to the Premier League season for the Red Devils, losing to Brighton and Brentford in their opening two games, and will be looking to strengthen his squad further.

What is the latest on Ronaldo’s situation?

The Portuguese made it clear to the powers that be at United that he wanted to leave the club this summer if an acceptable offer came in.

As the squad returned to pre-season he once again re-emphasised this stance, with the £480,000 per-week star eager to continue plying his trade in the Champions League. The club, however, have insisted that he is not for sale.

Chelsea were among the clubs linked with a move for Ronaldo after Romelu Lukaku returned to Inter Milan on loan, but a deal has so far failed to materialise.

After missing large chunks of pre-season, Ronaldo started United’s opening game of the season on the bench but came on in the second-half to try and rescue a point as they lost 2-1 to Brighton.

Ten Hag slotted him back into the starting XI for the trip to Brentford but that did not exactly go to plan, with the Bees thrashing United 4-0 in west London.

What has Crook said on the situation?

Crook understands that there has been a slight change in tone from the club regarding their stance on keeping Ronaldo.

The talkSPORT reporter understands that if a replacement could be brought in, Ten Hag may feel it would be better for the 37-year-old to leave.

Crook told GIVEMESPORT: “On the Ronaldo situation, I think there does seem to be a slight change of tone coming out of United. Obviously, the message all summer has been that he’s not for sale, he’s under contract. But I think maybe Ten Hag is starting to think, possibly, if they could find a replacement, then a parting of the ways might be better for all concerned.”

Who could United bring in as a replacement?

The latest name to join the list of targets at Old Trafford is Atletico Madrid forward Matheus Cunha, according to MailOnline, with the La Liga club likely to demand more than £42 million for his signature.

United have already missed out on the signing of Red Bull Salzburg’s Benjamin Sesko while a transfer for Ajax star Antony is looking like an increasingly tough purchase.

Meanwhile, reports have also emerged detailing that United could challenge Chelsea for the signature of Barcelona striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang this summer.

News Now – Sport News





Source link

You May Also Like